Bassendean Railway Museum: see some of the trains that worked the trails you rode along

Kalamunda History Village is on the site of the old Upper Darling Range Railway Station built in the 1890s to service the Zig Zag line which transported timber from Canning Mills to the main line at Midland Junction. It is the largest folk museum in Western Australia depicting the unique hills life and industries that developed in the area. The two original railway stations and platform are on the National Trust List of Heritage Places. There are also historic shops, a school, cottages, a saw pit, G118 loco, blacksmiths shop, motor vehicles, and lots of other items of interest.

Midland Railway workshops: All though the Workshops are generally closed, the Machinery Preservation Club operate from there. The Club was formed in 1982 by a small group who had a common interest in old machinery. As the group grew in numbers in 1996 the Club was offered a permanent home in part of the Midland Railway Workshops. I think they are open occasionally on Sundays opposite the Police Operational Centre. I think it is a gold coin donation to get in, but you must be wearing covered shoes.

The Castledare Minature railway is a 7 1/4 inch guage passenger carrying miniature railway set in natural wetlands at Canning River Regional Park, not far from Mason's Landing (see the separate ride). The Railway has a station at the Park (the other Castledare station, Niana, is not in this park but near by). The public run days are on the 3rd Sunday of each from 10:00AM - 2:00PM for diesel services only. The nearby Niana station has public run days are on the 1st Sunday of each month from 11:00AM - 3:30PM except January. Steam & diesel services generally available. Niana Station is at Castledare Place, Wilson. See

Claremont Train station was built in 1906 and is still a functioning train stop. The 1906 built signal box is the only surviving, operating, traditional all-lever signal box still in its original location in the Perth metropolitan area. This classic WAGR signal box is only accessible via the footbridge and is above the island platform at the station.The signals box is open on the first Saturday of each month from 10 am - 2pm and is worth a look. See

The Old Mill is a restored tower mill located on Mill Point in South Perth, originally built in 1835, only 6 years after WA was established. Operation ceased in 1859, due to unprofitability and the unsuitable location. Later, it is restored to its original 1830s condition, and in 19597 the Narrow's Bridge was diverted to save it. It is one of Perth's best known historic landmarks and serves as a sightseeing attraction. It was repaired and upgraded and was placed on the register of the National Trust in 1992. The buildings and site is noted as having permanent entry on heritage registers for its architectural and historical significance, and conservation.

Whiteman Park is near the Swan Valley, 16 km from Perth. It houses five transport related groups, as well as wild life and other groups.The transport related groups are the Motor Museum of WA, Tractor Museum of WA, Bus Preservation Society of WA, Western Australian Light Railway Preservation Association (operating Bennett Brook Railway) and the Perth Electric Tramway Society (operating the Whiteman Park Heritage Tramway).W.A.L.R.P.A was formed in 1976 by a group who shared an interest in the lesser known narrow gauge railways of WA. Whiteman Park is open to the Public 7 days a week. See:

The Bennett Brook Railway is the home of many relocated and restored ex W.A.G.R. buildings and signalling equipment from various locations around WA. The locos and rolling stock has been gathered from railways in W.A., Queensland and South Africa and has been restored to operating condition. Most locos are from mine sites or brick works, although the loco "Ruston" is of interest. A diesel mechanical loco, it left the Ruston & Horsnby works in June 1957 having been sold to Christiani & Neilsen and then later to Bunnings Bros in 1961. This unit was donated to W.A.L.R.P.A by Bunnings Bros from their Manjimup Mill in 1984.

A little further a field:

Yarloop work shops

Dardanup heritage museum See a working saw mill, as well as old tractors and machinery.

Valley of the Giants: The 600 metres loop high up above the tingle and karri trees is on a 40 metre high series of lightweight steel trusses built on steel pylons to form a secure ramp. After reaching a height of 40 metres above the ground (no climbing involved!), it gradually descends to ground level to complete the loop. This marvellous feat of engineering was opened in August 1996 and cost $1.825 million.